Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Throwin' it Back Old School Style


I was a DC Talk Fan when they first came out. They were "rappers" at that point. Anyway, all of a sudden, all the guys in my youth group didn't like them anymore. I was unaware of this newfound dislike and I went out and bought their tape. (That's right I said tape.) Those guys gave us girls a hard time for quite awhile until the group changed their musical genre and then they liked them again.



All these memories came flashing back this week because I bought Toby Mac's Welcome to Diverse City CD. Court is doing her solo in the recital this year to Burn for You. It is a hip hop style CD and she is doing a hip hop dance. It is funny because I enjoy this CD but I feel like I almost need to apologize for liking it. How long before childhood memories won't affect the actions in your adulthood?

BTW - If I could dance, I would dance to this album. I'm sure that I would probably pull something so I'll refrain. I can still manage to head bop though!

10 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I love DC Talk!!(old & new)& toby mac is good also , i didnt know he had a new cd, is it any good like his older cds??

Amy

Thursday, January 26, 2006 9:55:00 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I'm not familiar w/Toby's previous solo efforts. This album is eclectic. It is hip hop all the way through but almost every song is a diffent style of hip hop. I like it a lot.

Friday, January 27, 2006 7:37:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'll have to get it, I like hip hop!! (actualy I like all kinds of music eccept for country & opera) what other artists do you liten to ?? who are you favorites??

Friday, January 27, 2006 8:35:00 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Christian:
Mark Schultz
Salvador
Newsboys
Jars of Clay
Third Day
Shawn Karns ;-)

Secular:
Bob Marley (all Reggae in general)
Frank Sinatra (and some rat pack)
Josh Groban
Movie Soundtracks
(I don't have any Harry Connick Jr. stuff except stuff he did on soundtracks. Really like that.)


I'm like you, I like a wide variety of music. I like some country like the 90's era. I used to be a huge Garth Brooks fan. i used to listen to grunge - Nirvana and also Pearl Jam. Pretty much, I liked everything in the 90's. Loved 2Pac and Biggie.

Something I like to keep quiet is that I am a sucker for Pop. I totally jammed out to the boy bands, the blonde faze, the Latin explosion, and American Idol noteables.

I guess I really don't get into Techno much. I love instrumental. Also, I love musicals. South Pacific, Sound of Music, Guys and Dolls, Chicago, Oklahoma.

Friday, January 27, 2006 9:24:00 PM  
Blogger Libby said...

It's amazing what you find out about people when they come out of the closet about their music!

Saturday, January 28, 2006 2:13:00 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

What are you saying Libby? :)

Saturday, January 28, 2006 2:45:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

My favs are, Carman, Skillett, Switchfoot,Plus one,Kutless, ALL Praise & worship,(Darlene Zsech is my favorite!!)I try to listen to secular very little but some of what I listen to is No Doubt(I know , I know !!!)NicKleback, Will Smith,ect... Hey I to Listen to boy bands also , Backstreet Boys !!! LOLOLOL anyway , see ya later !!

Monday, January 30, 2006 9:09:00 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Court read this post and said, "Toby Mac was part of DC Talk? Who's DC Talk?"

I just started laughing because I couldn't believe she didn't know who they were. I named a couple songs and she did recognize the songs.

Wednesday, February 01, 2006 9:15:00 PM  
Blogger The 6 Karns' said...

We have the new Salvador cd (it's great)... I want to borrow your Toby!

I'm pretty partial to "Shawn Karns" too!!!

Friday, February 10, 2006 11:40:00 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Yeah! You can totally borrow my cd but you know I'm gonna have to borrow the Salvador one.

Did you also notice the amendment made to my dates to anticipate? Just for you. hehe

Friday, February 10, 2006 12:42:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web tracker